I don’t know about everyone else, but this season has flown by very quickly! We are already two games and two wins into the 202007 NBA Playoffs and potentially only a couple of months away from a NBA championship. Now is a good time to reflect on some of the key moments of the season.
- September began with informal workouts, including extra workout sessions with our Sports Medicine staff trying to keep up with Nash(Camelback, parking garage, etc.).
- We travel with the team, staff, family, owners, administration, and NBA personnel to Italy and Germany for a very memorable training camp.
- I found out after coming home from a preseason road game that my wife is pregnant with our first child. Several weeks later I found out we’re having a boy!
- The regular season started out slow, but ended up with 61 wins(3rd best in Suns history), including win streaks of 17 and 15 games!
- Ben Roethlisberger came to a shootaround and participated in the entire workout(including the film session). Steeler Nation, baby!
- Jerome Bettis attends the Suns/Pistons game and come back to the training room for a visit. Did I say Steeler Nation baby?!
- Cal Ripken Jr. made a tour through the locker room before a game. Not part of Steeler Nation, but not a bad athlete to put in with a couple of Super Bowl Champs!
- Amaré plays in all 82 games after 2 knee surgeries last season—unbelievable accomplishment.
- We end up with the 2nd best record in the NBA!
- Leandro Barbosa wins 6th Man of the Year! I still think he should have received all of the votes!
Those were only a few of the highlights of another great season. Of course there have been ups and downs, but we seem to be hitting our stride again at the right time.
Now, we need to look ahead. We have 2 wins under our belts and need 14 more to win a NBA Championship.
First, we need to win this series as we travel to LA for games 3 and 4. Los Angeles can be a hostile territory during the playoffs as family and friends can attest from last years playoffs against the Lakers and the Clippers.
As long as we keep building momentum and playing hard, great things will probably follow. We have a group of guys that are starving for a shot at the title, but everyone knows that the West is a difficult conference.
All of us (players, coaches, and staff) have friends working or playing for the other playoff teams, so there are calls, texts, and emails almost daily between everyone. The anxious anticipation builds daily as we get closer to meeting those individuals in a playoff series.
Friendships can become tense, but that is the nature of the game. I will assure all Suns fans that our team is ready to dig in deep and make a run to what we all want to see—the championship trophy hoisted high above our heads!