When you think of Steve Nash, there are probably two things that come to mind: NBA player and community activist. There are not too many players in the NBA, or even in the sports world as a whole, that do more for their community than Nash.
Which brings us to the latest Sport BC poll. The poll lists five athletes and lets visitors select who they think “has made the most extraordinary contribution on and off the field and has inspired others to get involved in sport and do the same.” If you’re voting based on that description, is there any doubt that Nash should be at the top of the list? Here are just some of the accomplishments he’s had through his Steve Nash Foundation:
- BC Grants – Offers grants to youth-focused organizations that foster children’s development
- Support Hope - 28 students, a 6 person dental team and 5 teachers have undertaken the construction of an extension onto the Child Well-Being Centre (Centro de Bienestar Infantil) in Concepcion, Paraguay.
- Steve Nash Youth Basketball League – Supports over 10,000 participants
- Arizona Funding – Dedicated to funding one of their primary objectives: early childhood development; working directly with Governer’s office to make sure the funds go where they are needed most.
- Conservation Efforts – An entire section of his Foundation web site focused solely on conservation efforts throughout the world.
Sure, it’s easy to focus on one area and help the people that you directly come in contact with. But Nash and his foundation do more than that. They help people in many different countries and in several different areas. Is there anyone more deserving of the title “Community Champion” than Steve Nash? If you agree, you can vote for Nash through Wednesday. Go vote now!